Friday, July 11, 2008

We appear to be surviving the gluten free experience.  Jake hasn't really noticed and even tried an entire kernel of corn today.  He had the brilliant notion if he forked it into his gf nugget and smothered it in ketchup he wouldn't spontaneously combust, and nope, not even a spark.  Baby steps and all-I hold onto the fire extinguisher just in case.

Hubby had become the bread czar and is faithfully slaving over loaf pans to "perfect" his various gf bread recipes.  I feel it may be a while before much is actually perfected, but I adore his dedication and commitment nevertheless.  

I am in a strange place these days.  I have been a sahm for 3 years now (right about when Jake was diagnosed with early onset bipolar later to be followed with ASD and adhd).  I used to be a teacher....5 years teaching private middle schoolers in suburban DC; an experience to say the least.  So I've been home with the kiddos these last few years and although it's not exactly been a picnic all the time I think my being home has gleaned more for the kids than if I had remained as a teacher full time.  

Well you've all see the economy and hubby is now all gung ho for me to return to work, and to placate his desires I actually applied to be a paraprofessional in the school system here.  In true form  to personal offices I have heard very little and have been told repeatedly by those in the know to expect a phonecall the day before school starts.  I have a deposit down for a great daycare, and John is starting Kindy. On paper it appears to be a great time to do this.  

Yes yes, reality bites, blah blah blah.  I do NOT want to go back yet.  I know I have explained time and again to hubby about the added extras I do that seem so trivial that can eat up an entire morning or afternoon (medicaid waivers, therapy appointments, insurance fights.)  How the hell do I get all these "incidentals" accomplished and be away from the house 8 hours a day; then add on commuting between two school and a day care to gather young uns up once my day is over.  btw: aftercare for Jake is a non starter.  I suspect hubby thinks my being distracted by anything other than autism, diets, medication, therapies is a good thing.  He is a sweet man who is a true to life science teacher and wants to "fix" my issues.  Not sure that adding more stress to my life will reach his desired effect though.  So here I leave you, in limbo; having done all I can do and hoping against hope no one calls me and come August 4th I will be jobless and happy.  I need one more year to get Jake and John through another academic year and another year with me angel girl.

No comments: