Thursday, July 3, 2008

Intros and exits

I have been ruminating whether to start a blog or not these last few months. I'm sure I am in essence just writing out the jiggles in my head, and as such this is more a digital diary than anything else. I have been raising my three children for 8 years now (8, 5 and 19 months) and as the older two float on the autism spectrum I suspect I may at times even have something to say; or perhaps I am waxing lyrical here. In this family we truly do live in pictures; children and adults on the spectrum are visual in nature. My oldest can become so involved in a movie or video game he can not separate himself from the visual world. My second son is not as passionate about a visual fantasy world, but he has to have visual cues, pictures and images to help transition.

My youngest daughter appears about as neurotypical as you can get; sleep is still optional and not always necessary, but she is the glue of the three and accepts her brothers unequivically. Of course this may change as she grows older but I sense she already has a deep impassioned bond with both boys (especially the 5 year old). Her compassion in one so young is breathtaking and awe inspiring.

Then there's me: 33, at home mother (something I never thought I would be able for, and there are many days I truly believe I am not cut out for this special needs Mom thing.) I once had a dream I would make films, write delicate tales from the heart, but lately my limitattions seem to reachthe creative prowess of organising a shopping list. Perhaps this blog will help unearth some of that craetivity.....hmm obviously not today.

No comments: